by katherine |
I’ve been looking for a wall hanging to add to Hadley’s nursery where we have a large empty space, but I couldn’t find the right colors that would fit in with her wallpaper and blush painted walls…soo I decided to DIY it! It was pretty easy to do and only took about 2 hours start to finish, and I now own a tassel and pom maker, so I can add tassels to everything, haha.
To start making your own tassel wall hanging you’ll need:
- This tassel/pom maker (I downloaded Hobby Lobby’s 40% off coupon and used it toward this!)
- Three spools of yarn in any color you’d like (I used an olive green, coral and cream)
- An embroidery hoop in any size you’d like (I used a 6″)
- A wall hook, like this one
To create your wall hanging:
- Choose the size tassel you’d like to make, I used the 3.75″ size and wrapped the tool fairly thick. You’ll want to experiment with the thickness to see what size you’d like and try to mimic from there.
- When you start wrapping, keep about 1′ of yarn out at the end, this will become the piece of yarn your tassel will hang from.
- Wrap you yarn around the tool, snip the end, and tie off the top of the tassel
- Remove your tied tassel from the tool, and tie another piece of yarn to create the “ball” at the top of the tassel
- Tie the top hanging string of the tassel around your embroidery hoop to the length you’d like it to hang. Knot this piece at the top. You’ll have 3 rows of different length tassels. The top row has 8 tassels, the middle has 5, and the bottom has 5.
- If you want your tassels to stay in place, you can hot glue or super glue them to the embroidery hoop
- Wrap a piece of yarn around the top of your embroidery hoop and tie it into a loop to hang from your wall hook.
It’s pretty simple to do. Just follow the instructions that come along with the tassel maker, or check out this video for help!
I love the way this turned out. It adds that extra pop of color and layered texture to Hadley’s space. It also really creates that boho vibe that goes well with her nursery!
Check out more of our DIYs!